On birthday wishes

One doesn't pay much attention to birthdays anymore at my age.

I must say that the celebration of my 75th was exceptionally pleasing. More than 50 guests showed up at a party featuring jazz greats John Shea and Tim Froncek. My family was more than gracious. Even grandkids from afar called to talk to their grandpa. In view of the fact that exactly one year ago I was on a feeding tube, a process that continued for six long months as I did my best to recover from a vicious attack by a staph infection, it was indeed a time for celebration. I greet each day this year with a feeling of exhilaration.

Son Matthew put out a notice on the HFP email network and my inbox was flooded with birthday greetings from around the world. I am blessed with so many beautiful friends.

My snailbox was filled with letters from prisoners who remembered my birthday, and some even called.

Perhaps the most meaningful greeting, though, came from a mentally challenged teenager in prison. You have done so much great work over the years and my mother and I really appreciate your work. I remember when you came to see me. Man, did we have a good time! I'm continuing to work on myself, to try to grow and better myself each day. I just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and praying for you. Thanks again for all your hard work. Have a great birthday!

A dose of that medicine is sure to fill one's heart to face the next year.

Thanks to all who were kind enough to remember. And a special thanks to my friend Kevin.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread