It's your turn

One of the frustrating parts of this business of being an advocate for prisoners is the inability to help them all. HFP, for example, handles only cases in Michigan. We can't even handle that load, but there's no way we can consider expanding into all of the other states. But, each day we get letters from other states, and I just wonder where these people are going to turn. Who will even listen to them?

Here's a guy from Ohio getting frightfully abused.

"I was given another inmate's medication, and subsequently fell and busted my head 3 times. The medication wore off, but I didn't improve. I didn't get to see a doctor until I fell again 3 days later. I could not move and was taken to a hospital where I was denied treatment and released within an hour. As I regained the ability to move the pain did not let up. I was given Motrin which I did not receive until 5 days later. I continued to have pain, lose consciousness for no apparent reason and falling from time to time. Three weeks later I fell twice in one evening. After the second time was also maced by the CO who stated 'since I have to do paper work, take this.' He maced me directly in the face as I stood there bleeding from the fall. That's what they do here, continue hurting inmates, many of whom are shackled and maced, rendering them unable to see while they are being beaten."

The man is on a hunger strike to protest prison treatment in Ohio. There, as in many states, prisoners are given smaller portions of food due to budget cuts. His existence is meager, as he lives on $3-9 a month.

All he's asking for is someone to write to, someone who would get interested in prison problems in Ohio, someone to help support peaceful protests of inhumane treatment.

We cannot help them all.

And that's frustrating.

What about you? Can you help some in your state? How about your church or service club? Do you have a Bible study group?

You don't have to jump into the ocean, but you could just dip your big toe into the kiddie pool to start.

Your life will never be the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread