Touching at the time of execution is OK: US Supreme Court!

Luke 5 passage about a man with a skin disease: He said to Jesus, “Lord, if you want, you can make me clean.” Jesus reached out his hand, touched him, and said, “I do want to. Be clean.” Instantly, the skin disease left the man. 

Touching and Christianity fit well together. 

Bill Gaither’s popular gospel song--- 

Something happened and now I know, He touched me and made me whole. 

My friend Tommy asked me to bring up this topic upon hearing a news report regarding a Supreme Court decision that the State of Texas was wrong in not allowing a minister to touch a person at the time of execution. 

The prisoner simply wanted his pastor to be in the chamber with him at the time of his passing, audibly praying and laying hands on him. The clergyman said this was “deeply rooted in the man’s faith.” 

Some leery observers and justices thought the prisoner just wanted to delay the date of his death. Justice Clarence Thomas, who wrote the dissenting opinion, accused the guy of trying to “manipulate the judicial process.” 

You may remember that I received an unsettling request years ago. My friend Anthony, who was on Texas death row, asked me to be his spiritual advisor. It was, as you might imagine, a life-changing experience. 

I can’t get into why this particular prisoner raised the issue of touching. But, I can tell you this: Texas didn’t allow even a hint of intimacy for the poor sucker facing a lethal injection when I was there in 2008! 

For a simple conversation on death row we had to chat on rickety telephones on either side of bullet-proof glass. When I prayed, we had to hold an old style black telephone to one ear and press our hands on the glass together, hoping that God might grant us some sort of connection. 

It got worse. 

In our final pre-execution session there was still a screen between us. And I still couldn’t touch him when we prayed. And I was not allowed to give him a hug when we said goodbye. Unconscionable. 

The Supreme Court got it right. 

“The human touch is that little snippet of physical affection that brings a bit of comfort, support, and kindness. It doesn’t take much from the one who gives it, but can make a huge difference in the one who receives it.”

― Mya Robarts

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread