The tables are turned: A prisoner makes our day!

I’m sure Mr. T had no idea how much he brightened spirits in our office the other day. 

By “our office,” I mean the headquarters for HUMANITY FOR PRISONERS. In that small office building, members of our team respond to between 75 and 100 requests for help every day. Many of the prisoners asking for assistance are not in an exceptionally good mood. Let’s face it, you and I do not run, as happy campers , through the front door of the doctor’s office to exclaim how great we feel. We usually go because we have a problem, and because we have a problem we’re often not in the best of moods. 

Well, as our Sarah started dealing with the daily stack of snail mail, she unfolded a letter that was not filled with grumbling and complaint. Instead, a hand-written note, specifically addressed to her, said: 

My name is _______ and I’ve been incarcerated in the MDOC since 2010 when, at 15 years old, I was convicted of murder in the second degree, and sentenced to 31-50 years. I’ve never been an angel, yet in a higher power I’ve strived to trust. In the past few years I’ve been on an industrious, diligent campaign for freedom, the upliftment of oppressed people, at-risk youth, the betterment of the next generation, at this point merely hoping to initiate change so others---whether youth or adult---do not go through the ordeals I’ve overcome alone. I can truly understand the value of the free world support and if I can help just a little, I know I’m doing something good to aid others who have gone or are going through what I’m going through. I am writing this brief note to advise you that I am contributing to the Humanity for Prisoner cause by donating $1,500. Your work is very inspiring, and I hope with my donation I am aiding. 

Young Mr. T has no idea how much he has done. Yes, his dollars will definitely help others who are incarcerated and who have special needs. But the gift, along with the giver’s kind intentions and generous spirit, goes far beyond financial assistance. This beautiful incident brightened our daily routine, relayed a message that rehabilitation can and does happen, and served as an important reminder to all of us---HFP team members and supporters alike---that kindness and compassion are not limited only to those persons outside of prison bars. 

“Unexpected kindness is the most powerful, least costly, and most underrated agent of human change.” – Bob Kerrey



Comments

Louise Reichert said…
THIS is the kind of change we should be seeing from those who serve time! And no, while some wonderful transformations DO occur, changing the temperament of the system would be so much more productive!

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread