My Lenten message: Prisoners need new batteries!

Matt and I were recording a podcast with one of our staff members. Ted, who assists prisoners in obtaining important legal documents through the Freedom of Information Act, observed how his impression of the incarcerated has changed since he came to work for us. 

This has been true, I think, of every person who ever worked for HUMANITY FOR PRISONERS. 

It’s no wonder our thoughts are negative. Our senses are almost numbed by the brutal and senseless crimes that grab the headlines day after day. And I know of people in the media who seem to enjoy reporting on horrible prisoner behavior behind bars. 

Yet (you’ve heard me say this time and again!), the prisoner who actually steered me into this business 20 years ago was one of the kindest, most gentle people I had ever met. Until given permission otherwise, he constantly referred to me as “Mr. Tjapkes.” In fact, he even hesitated to seek my help because I was trying to assist another guy behind bars and he didn’t want to be a bother. 

Well, it’s true...there are some bad apples in prison. We hear about it every day. So do you. 

But then there are the others. Many, many, many decent people who are locked in these cages. I have been a guest speaker in many prisoners. I have led music in many prisons. I have done workshops and book reviews with prisoners. I have been blessed EVERY time! 

Jesus wasn’t just fooling around when he said, “I was in prison and you visited me.” He didn’t say, “There’s this jerk behind bars that you should try to love.” I interpret his sentence to mean that, when I go behind bars, I am actually seeing the faces of Christ. 

One of my friends, formerly incarcerated, posted this on Facebook this week. Just read it and reflect on it: 

When a flashlight grows dim or quits working, you don’t throw it away, you change the batteries. When a person messes up and finds themselves in a dark place, do you cast them aside? Of course not. You help them change their batteries! Some need AA, attention and affection. Some need AAA, attention, affection and acceptance. And if they still don’t seem to shine...simply sit with them quietly and share your light.  Victory Today 

Pope Francis: "Lent comes providentially to awaken us, to shake us from our lethargy."



Comments

Louise Reichert said…
Beautiful. Oh, how I wish MDOC had - and was willing to use - even a FEW batteries!

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread