HFP on duty in northern Michigan

I had just made my fourth and final prison visit in one day! It felt like I had been working for a week! Who says the emotions can't drain more energy than physical labor?

I walked to my car in the parking lot of the Hiawatha Correctional Facility in Kincheloe, Michigan. It was 6:15 P.M. The weather was perfect, sun shining, temperature at 73 degrees, a slight breeze ruffling my hair. I stopped, transfixed by the typical, majestic U.P. nature scene, especially the tall, stately, pines. Then I did an about turn, and my eyes were drawn to the familiar sight of rolls and rolls of shiny, ugly barbed wire atop prison fences.

And that's when the wave of guilt hit me!

Who was I to be so privileged to leave four wonderful guys, whom I had visited in three different prisons, and step out into freedom? Why did each one of these treasured friends have to be subjected to the humiliation of a strip search and sent back to their cells following our brief time together, while I could return to my wife for a comfortable evening and a delicious meal? I had no answer. I still don't. I know this: Compared side-by-side, their qualities of character and abilities far outweigh mine! Not even close! They don't belong in prison any more than your grandmother! And yet, a stubborn parole board and an unaware Governor do not prevent these inmates from being pillars in their communities, shining examples to the other residents.

Each one of the four sent me off with a hug.

When I slid behind the wheel, I paused, as I usually do for just a moment, pleading that God may have used my brief visit to make an impact on four prisoners at least equal to that made on me. True, all four of us talked business. But the unspoken message as I walked out of the visiting rooms was that we were brothers!

I drove off. There but for the grace of God... .

I shall never underestimate the incredible responsibility placed in my hands by God, at the helm of HFP, and by you, who make it possible for us to go on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread