What a birthday gift!
August 29, 2006, marked the 25th
anniversary of Humanity for Prisoners. This is the 14th in a series of
reflections by founder Doug Tjapkes.
Back in the days when I was a radio newsman some of the bigger stations in Michigan actually had people assigned to spend their time trying to win station accolades. Their goal: to inform listeners that theirs was “an award-winning” news department.
As the News Director of a small market radio station, I never had time for such nonsense. I, my small news crew and my stringers were too busy trying to do our very best to keep our community informed. Over the years I learned that listeners were able to determine which news operations were “award winners.” They needed no announcements.
I raise the issue today, because it is a special day for HFP!
Just as when I was a radio News Director, I had no thoughts of winning awards when I founded this little prisoner advocacy program in 2001. My goal was to compassionately do my best to help incarcerated men and women with their in-prison problems and issues.
Well, this many years later, we have definitely made an impact! And even though we made no effort to influence Safe and Just Michigan in judging, their organization this evening will present HFP with its 2026 Justice Warrior Award!
We have worked with S&J a lot over the years. It’s a nonpartisan public policy organization based in Lansing that works to reduce crime and unnecessary incarceration through evidence-based reforms. It’s a great agency and it does great work!
We were taken aback when this prestigious organization notified us. The announcement indicated the award was in recognition of HFP, its dedicated staff, volunteers, board members, community partners, and supporters who believe every person deserves dignity, hope, and a second chance!
This is no frivolous honor.
Last year the award was presented to SADO---Michigan State Appellate Defender Office---a state-funded legal organization that represents low-income individuals appealing their criminal convictions!
We will be there this evening to proudly accept this award.
What an honor for this team:
Mark Hartman, Executive Director
Carmen Fluit, Office Manager
Sarah Ebidon, Volunteer Manager
Brad Warner, Intake & Communications
Specialist
Jen Szeny, Digital Communications
Specialist
Joe Whalen, Mission Advancement Director!
This fine group of experts, assisted by some 2 dozen volunteers and backed by a dedicated group of men and women who serve on our board, have never given any thought to winning recognition. They’ve been too busy doing their best to prove to those persons living behind bars that they matter!
"Man gives the award, God gives the reward"
---Denzel Washington, the actor who played the role of Rubin Hurricane Carter in “The Hurricane!”
Comments