Pete and Judy, instrumental in HFP’s survival!
August,2026, marks the 25th anniversary of Humanity for Prisoners. This is the eighth in a series of reflections by founder Doug Tjapkes.
Unsung heroes don't seek glory; their virtuous deeds speak louder than any praise! (anon)
I can’t tell you how it all started. Neither can Judy. We think it was around the year 2008, and here’s how she and I think the story began.
Judy VanderArk of Grand Rapids had a heart for prisoners and was helping several incarcerated students of the Crossroad Bible Institute who resided in Michigan prisons. A state prison rule is that you may visit only one person. She wanted to visit more. I helped her attain clergy status to solve that problem. I was looking for fund raising ideas, and Judy and her husband Pete were the directors of a fine mission training project called MOSES. They knew how to raise money, and they helped me to solve that problem.
Well, whether it was for one of those reasons or both, Judy and I not only connected, but also became special friends. It wasn’t long before I persuaded her to serve on the HFP Board of Directors. One of the benefits of that decision was that we got 2 for 1! Her husband Pete, a highly successful businessman, was equally interested in our work. The rest is history. This wonderful, devout, kind and generous couple not only made a strong impact on our work but actually assured our survival during a very difficult period!
I’ve already mentioned, in an earlier blog piece, how Judy and Pete initiated a highly successful program of providing tons of yarn to Michigan prisons for charitable crochet programs.
But that wasn’t all.
Perhaps the worst chapter in HFP history came in 2010 when I was attacked by a deadly staph infection. I was in and out of hospitals and ERs for a year, lost 60 pounds, and was on a feeding tube for 6 months. My survival and HFP’s survival were at stake.
Thank God, I lived to tell the story and get back on the job. Thank God people like Pete and Judy were at my side and helped me and HFP in too many ways to even describe!
We loved having Judy on our board for many reasons. Her advice and assistance, often with Pete’s involvement, was invaluable. But there was a side benefit. She brought treats to our board meetings! How we loved her delicious homemade banket in each holiday season.
Besides their assistance, transportation was always offered and provided to Marcia and me for HFP events.
I’m the only one who knows
the whole story of the key role that Pete and Judy VanderArk played in the survival
of this compassionate ministry and its impact in Michigan prisons. As HFP
observes its 25th anniversary, it’s time to express our sincere and heartfelt gratitude.
And I conclude with a hug!
Do not
withhold good from those to whom it is due, when it is in your power to do it.’
Proverbs 3:27
Comments