Only God could have written this script!
August,2026, marks the 25th anniversary of Humanity for Prisoners. This is the ninth in a series of reflections by founder Doug Tjapkes.
I’m a newsman. I love a good story. For HFP, this ranks as one of the very best!
2009, and I’m having lunch with former Grand Rapids Press writer Pat Shellenbarger, who had paired up with me while working on the Maurice Carter case. “I have a letter here that may interest you.” It was in a state prison envelope.
The letter was from Mark Hartman, a businessman from New York State who, like Maurice, claimed wrongful conviction in Berrien County. A friend had handed him a copy of my book SWEET FREEDOM shortly after his arrival at a Muskegon prison. Noticing the many similarities in the Hartman and Carter cases, Mark wanted to contact the author. With no success in reaching me, he reached out to Pat Shellenbarger, a name he had seen in the book.
My office at that time was in Muskegon. So, rather than send a reply I just drove to the nearby prison for a personal visit. It was quite a surprise for Mark, in that his friends and family members still lived in New York. The chemistry was instant! That visit not only established Mark as a client of HFP but also led to an amazing friendship.
In one of our visits the following year, Mark shared the disappointing news that an unscrupulous attorney who made big promises and who charged huge advance fees, could no longer be reached. No more calls. No more visits. Gone…along with all that money.
As HFP does when hearing cases of client abuse, we jumped in. We immediately hooked up Mark with local attorney and supporter Brad Springer. Once again Brad served us well. In the 7-year battle that followed, he not only recovered more than half of Mark’s money; he also had the legal scoundrel disbarred!
During one of our prison visits Mark asked if I knew someone who could chat with him regarding spiritual matters. I sent him a retired pastor from our church, Al Hoksbergen, along with our current pastor Nate Visker. Another strong bond developed. I don’t know what those guys talked about in subsequent meetings, but I know this: In later years Mark graduated from The Urban Ministry Institute, a Prison Fellowship Program. He then went on to graduate with a degree from the Calvin Prison Initiative program at an Ionia prison!
The big day arrived. Mark was released from prison in 2020, and I was there to extend one of the first hugs. You’ll want to watch a short video clip of that emotional moment on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT88gPHExJM&t=19s
Then, the amazing final chapters.
January, 2023, Mark
Hartman begins a 3-year term on the HFP Board of Directors.
In June of that same year, he succeeds Matt Tjapkes as Executive Director of HUMANITY FOR PRISONERS!
Now, Mark Hartman takes his turn, leading a team of 7, along with a slew of volunteers, in offering compassionate assistance to thousands of clients serving time in Michigan prisons!
He and I continue to praise God for penning this story!
There
is no such thing as a coincidence and there are no accidents in God's
creation.”
―
E.A. Bucchianeri, Brushstrokes of a Gadfly
Comments