Premature deaths occur behind bars. Wanna know why?

What would it be like for a person behind bars? 

As a worker with the incarcerated, I often ask that question when certain issues arise in my own life. That was the case when I recently underwent surgery for colon cancer. 

-The mass was discovered during a routine check-up by my primary care physician. In that prison healthcare is so marginal, how likely is it that a malignant mass would be found in its early stage? 

-Upon discovery of the problem, I was able to meet with a surgeon within a week! For the incarcerated, nothing happens quickly. 

-Preparation for a colonoscopy begins one day in advance, with a colon-cleansing regimen that demands frequent urgent bathroom visits. Virtually impossible in our state prisons! Can you imagine? 

-Pain meds were critical in my post-op recovery. HFP Office Manager Susie Greenbauer, who handles most of our medical complaints, says: “…the surgeon will recommend follow up visits, therapy, certain meds, further care and the MDOC provider can make the decision to not follow those instructions. It’s always at their discretion and, as you can imagine, if it costs money it isn’t likely to happen.” 

-Even with extensive post-op attention, I experienced complications and had to return to the Emergency Room. And you think that the prison system is going to drop everything to provide a van for a post-op ER visit? 

My surgery was apparently successful, and at age 87 I’m grateful for that, as well as the many other breaks I have received. God has been at my side through numerous medical issues, allowing me to continue my work to this very day. 

Yet, these words from Vox should be of concern to all of us:  State and federal prisons have a long track record of failing to provide adequate medical care to the people in their custody, leading to preventable and premature deaths that are rarely scrutinized. The rapidly aging prison population is now putting more strain on a system that is already failing. 

FYI, Michigan prisons house about 100 persons in their 80s! 

Would that the prison healthcare systems, before worrying about the bottom dollar, heed this advice in the book of Hebrews: …remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering.



 

 

 

Comments

Jimmy Sabin said…
I just had a heart pacemaker put in on 5/31/2024, but it's unlikely a prisoner would be be properly evaluated to need one, much less actually have one implanted. I was tired all the time (still am to some degree), but a heart monitor study (worn 5 days) indicated my heart beat had dropped to 30 beats per minute sometimes at night. But how many prisoners would get the health care luxury of having a monitor study done? I concur with the analysis of the writer of this article.

However, I doubt if I can post this to completion. I'm not sure what a Google Account is or if I even have one. And I have NO idea what the notation about HTML tags mean. Perhaps an ALTERNATIVE method might be found to allow NON-anonymous comments to be posted and the writer identified?

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread