People in prison blues won't see a blue heron

As I began writing this post, a blue heron swooped down into the pond in front of my office window. He (or she) began fishing in the pond. I was mesmerized for a moment. How blessed I am, on a sunny, summer afternoon, to watch this little scene! 

To explain, this blog author is now 87 years of age. I started this agency, doing its very best to help prisoners with their personal issues and problems when they don’t know where else to turn, 23 years ago. Since that time, I have developed not only an incredible desire to help the incarcerated, but an incurable love for those residing behind bars. 

My role with HUMANITY FOR PRISONERS lessens as the years go by, but I still work every day, and try to make my little contribution to the success of this wonderful agency. My office is at home, and overlooks a pond. Just outside the sliding glass door, in front of me, there’s an array of bird feeders and a bird bath. 

A Canada geese couple (I call them Gertrude and Heathcliff, a reminder of Red Skelton days!) and their six offspring, now almost fully grown, have been coming to my door all summer…perhaps because I throw a little feed out there now and then. 

The geese will chase a little baby bunny away from my patio…they want all the food for themselves. The bunny returns to his area, then chases a little bird from his territory. 

My count of bird varieties is up to more than 30. 

Melancholy prompts me to write this, because of my love for the incarcerated. You have no idea how many of them, in their communications with me, will mention little things that they miss, especially experiences with nature: birds, butterflies, frogs, etc. 

I’m savoring these experiences, but I’m also praying for those locked up in cages where people who have been judged by the worst thing they did in their lives, cannot enjoy this little part of daily living that we take for granted. 

I've noticed people often complain about the monotony of life. How sometimes every day is just like the last and they all blend together. Do they know how lucky they are? But maybe that's the problem with a smooth pleasant routine, you begin taking it for granted.”

― Cheryl Diamond 

I summarize with two suggestions: First, thank God for these delights that we take for granted; and second, say a prayer for those who are denied these treasured experiences.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread