Where do we go from here?

It's a question we must continue to address here at HFP. The problem is simple: we cannot survive. It takes money, and we don't have any.

HFP is an amazing organization, an agency that appears, on the surface, to be very small. But it's not. It has a vast network of advisors in all kinds of professions, even to public officials and former public officials, doctors, lawyers, investigators, you name it. They just want to remain below the radar, and so we don't tell anybody who they are. It gives us a huge advantage when it comes to advocating for prisoners. We know good people, who know more good people, who know how to press buttons. They have answers, and they have contacts. And so, we get results.

And, because we get results, prisoners love us. It's a two-way street, of course. Just read my last entry. We love prisoners in this office.

But having said all that, we must go back to my original premise: We need dollars to continue. We need dollars to survive. We don't have them. We're not getting them. And I don't know how to make that happen.

Sage advisors tell us that the financial part of the business is the responsibility of the Board of Directors. Our board members have never been able to handle those issues. And we haven't been able to attract the financially astute people who could serve us well. And so we're now down to three board members, $5,000 in the bank, no new fund-raisers in sight, and a trim but firm annual budget of $100,000.00.

We feel God has richly blessed HFP, and continues to be at our side all the way. We believe that we take our marching orders from Jesus.

I could work full-time in fund-raising, but when I'm doing that I'm not helping prisoners. As President, I'm finding that I cannot do both.

I'm not worried, but I'd be a liar if I said I wasn't anxious.

I want to remain in the work where I feel called. I want HFP to continue to be a help to prisoners who have fallen through the cracks. I want HFP to be financially stable.

The big question is: how to make this happen?

Only God knows.

Comments

Anonymous said…
This cannot and should not be! HFP provides such a unique ministry and support and you have worked so very hard to be the hands and voice and feet of Jesus to those in prison.

Do you suppose that 100 people could be found to pledge $100/month? that would then exceed the budget for the year with a little extra. Could 5 board members find 20 people to pledge? Sometimes it seems that breaking $ down monthly seems a lot more do-able for some of us.

We would and are willing to be one of those 100.
blessings to you and grace sufficient for the day.

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread