It's gotta be prayer!

Sometimes I just don't know what works.

A few years ago I made reference to a young lad who was sentenced to prison after being arrested on a minor sex charge (playing doctor with his cousin---his mom decided to teach him a lesson by calling the cops!), he was sentenced to the Michigan prison system. That, in itself, was an outrage...but I haven't told you the rest of the story. He's mentally ill. At that time, he had the mind of about a 6 year old.

I could see little or no help for this lad. His mother had her own emotional problems, and didn't have custody of the boy. That left only his grandmother, who resided in another state and who was in a wheelchair.

When I heard the story I went to see him in prison. I bought him soda pop and candy bars. We had a fine time. I've got grandkids, I know how to talk to kids, and I personally love kids.

But my heart was broken when he came walking in with shoes far too big. He had lost his own, and the staff found another pair for him, albeit the wrong size.

My heart was broken time again again as I kept up with his situation. The guards would tease him and scare him. Sometimes he could be seen in his cell just sitting on his bunk and crying.

He would get angry at the guards, so they'd throw him in the hole...a mentally ill little boy, sitting in the dark in seclusion! He'd get even more angry, so he'd urinate thru the meal slot in his cell door. Well, the guards retaliated by mopping up the puddle with his clothes. I guess they showed him who was boss.

Meanwhile, he has very few visitors, with almost no family and friends.

I tell you all of this to underscore why I couldn't muster up hope for this kid. His whole situation seemed hopeless to me.

Often, I asked people to pray for him.

I haven't heard from him in a long time. Then came word from his grandmother this week. He is doing good now, and has received his GED! I am so proud of him. I wish I could be there, so if you could go on his special day when he receives his certificate that would be greatly appreciated. He has worked so hard for this.

It's gotta be prayer.

Thank you, Lord.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread