Lenten story #3, the hungry

As we work with prisoners, we are also mindful of all less fortunate people, including the hungry.

A dear friend who works at my side as an intern, drawing unemployment and struggling to stay ahead as a single mom, decided to window-shop at a local mall.

Her attention was drawn to two young teenaged girls, who were apparently troubled while conversing with an older man. Sensing that tension was in the air, Cindy walked over there, and the man walked away. "Are you girls OK?" "Yes, but kinda freaked out. the guy wanted $2.50 for some food."

Cindy looked in her pockets, and found $1.50. "I have a dollar," said one of the girls.

Cindy walked over to the man who, she said, was obviously mentally challenged. "I'm so sorry," he said, "I didn't mean to scare those girls. I'm hungry. The half-way house where I live didn't serve breakfast this morning. The lady just left without preparing any food."

Cindy gave him the $2.50. "Don't apologize for being hungry," she said. "Get something to eat."

He hustled right over to the food court, and made his purchase.

Cindy returned to the girls, and said: "You made someone's day, today. He bought food."

Later, as she related her story by telephone to her fiance' who is a prisoner in Michigan, he said to her: "Baby, God sent you to the mall today to feed someone who was hungry!"

For I was hungry, and you gave me something to eat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread