you get your downs and you get your ups

I have been here less than three hours today, and the emotional rollercoaster is running at full speed:

PRISONER #1, Michigan---
I hope this letter finds you well. You've probably heard that I attempted to hang myself on August 7, quit talking for 22 days, and quit eating and drinking a few days later. I'm back on medication and I'm feeling better. My depression is so severe that it makes me want to harm myself.

PRISONER #2, Oklahoma
I have no family and receive no mail. So it's pretty lonely here in a super hi-max underground unit being locked down 24/7 in single cells, except for 3-ten minute showers every week. And no chapel. With no TV or radio, time goes slow and it's very depressing.

But then comes a pickup from the mother of a prisoner, Michigan
It was reading your book (SWEET FREEDOM) that helped light my fire and know that sometimes it takes more than the extra mile, more than extremes to be heard, listened to and a difference made! You and your work and your passion have helped to drive me.


Remember those in prison as if you were together with them in prison...Hebrews 13:3

doug

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread