On death row in Texas

I relived a horror story in Texas yesterday.

I was with Hank Skinner yesterday morning during his final hours at the infamous Polunsky Unit (Death Row) in Livingston, Texas. I pressed my hand against the window that separated us (no contact visits allowed, even at the time of death!), and I prayed over a squawky telephone as he placed his hand on the other side of the window.

I visited him in the Death House, a prison unit in Huntsville, Texas, where the condemned man may meet briefly with his spiritual advisor. We talked Studebakers and drag racing, and we laughed. I read Psalm 23, and we prayed. We prayed for a favorable decision from the Supreme Court.

Actually, I was in my comfortable office in Grand Haven, Michigan. But yesterday's story brought back all of the painful memories of a similar experience in Texas exactly three years ago. I was with my friend Charles Anthony Nealy, who very likely was wrongly convicted, and who would have been 43 years of age in just a few more days. He had asked me to be his spiritual advisor at the time of his execution. It was an experience I shall never forget. It was an experience I never want to repeat.

Anthony didn't receive his court decision.

Among his final words, as he lie strapped to a gurney, arms outstretched much like those of Jesus on the cross, tubes feeding into his veins: Thank you for coming all the way from Michigan, Doug. Say "hello" to Marcia. I love you.

30 minutes later a steam whistle on the prison roof shrieked. The community received word that another life had been taken in the name of justice. Anthony's lifeless body was taken to a nearby funeral home.

Marcia and I returned to Michigan.

Pray for Hank Skinner.

And if you chose to follow the words of Jesus, pray for the State of Texas: ...bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you.

Doug Tjapkes, President
HUMANITY FOR PRISONERS
P.O. Box 687
Grand Haven, MI 49417

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread