What I shoulda said

The older I get (I’m approaching 90!) the more I think, following my comments at an event, what I should have said. For example, I was a member of a panel at the Wealthy Theater in Grand Rapids last weekend for the Can Film Festival’s screening of WRONGED: THE MAURICE CARTER STORY. 

After hearing about wrongful convictions and shortcomings of our judicial system, I was asked: “What can we (the public) do?” 

I had to think quickly, so I responded by advising everyone to express their opinions at the polls. Michigan lawmakers have been reluctant to take any action on issues that could bring about change. Later I got to thinking about how I could have elaborated. 

Local 

-Prosecutors are elected. Choose one who is open to alternative sentencing, who doesn’t press for quick plea deals to avoid trial, and who doesn’t oppose the supreme court’s order to resentence juvenile offenders having life sentences with no parole.

-When you hear and read about police officers shooting unarmed suspects, especially people of color, demand answers. 

State 

-When reading of all the problems at WHV, Michigan’s prison for women, ask your state representative and state senator what they intend to do about this.

-When hearing about how shamefully our state treats incarcerated women, demand change.

-When hearing that the Governor has rejected bills to provide pension plans for our state corrections officers, raise hell.

-When State Police statistics reveal that there is a disparity between Black and white drivers when it comes to officers stopping cars, demand answers.

-When you learn that some 1,000 men and women in our prison system are innocent, support our Innocence Projects.

-Michigan keeps people in prison longer than most other states. As a result, the average age of those living behind bars is going up. We have some 100 men and women who are 80 and over in our prisons! It’s costing a fortune not only for room and board, but for advanced medical care. Do you think these senior citizens are going to reoffend? Convey your feelings to your elected officials.

-Michigan’s prison and parole systems desperately need reform. Make demands.

-There are fine prisoner advocacy agencies in Michigan, including Humanity for Prisoners. Learn more about them and lend your financial and prayerful support. That's an important way to hep bring about change. 

You get the idea. 

It’s time to get our hands out of our pockets. Just clucking our teeth isn’t enough. 

I wish I could have thought to express those opinions last Saturday! 

Just sayin’.

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Maurice Henry Carter March 29, 1944 – October 25, 2004

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

No visits? No hope, no future!