Proudly lighting 23 candles!

August 29, 2001…the date that the bylaws were signed for a new non-profit organization called INNOCENT! Years later, the agency’s name would change to HUMANITY FOR PRISONERS to more accurately reflect its work and its mission. 

One might think that, when I started this organization 23 years ago, I had lofty goals in mind and knew exactly what I was doing! Couldn’t be farther from the truth. 

I was successfully selling church organs, and certainly needed no more tasks or responsibilities in my life. BUT, I had this good friend residing in Michigan prisons, serving time for a crime he did not commit. We were five years into the fight for his freedom, as partners or, as we preferred to call it, “brothers.” And this brother of mine kept insisting that we should start an organization to help others with similar plights. It should be pointed out that Maurice had little-to-no support, only a few close family members, and no money. 

Maurice was no “lone wolf,” he insisted. There were others, many others, living in cages who had no one to help them. 

And so, in 2001, I cautiously dipped my toe into the water. What was I getting into? 

23 years later I can honestly tell you that, in the divine plan of things, my first two careers---nearly 30 years in radio broadcasting, and more than 20 years in church organ sales---were merely preparation for this task! This is my calling!

It’s exciting to know that HFP is making its mark in prisoner assistance and advocacy. Executive Director Mark Hartman is regularly presenting startling statistics to our Board of Directors. Our team is responding to 1,000 pleas for help every month! 

I invite you to celebrate with us.

We’re planning a party for September 26 in Grand Haven called Voices of Humanity. Highlight of that party will be the showing of a most amazing HFP birthday gift, a documentary focused on the Maurice Carter story! Award-winning Grand Rapids film maker Nate Roels is producing this video, entitled Wronged---the Maurice Carter Story.

My very special friends, members of The James Family Singers, will provide the music. 

Please check our website for reservation information, and please plan to attend. I’d like to see you there! 

…he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. 

Philippians 1:6

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread