Whether in music or prisoner assistance, no more cookie-cutters!

 To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable

 Ludwig van Beethoven 

I made my way to a little nightspot recently, having been told I would hear some fine live music. Sitting next to me at the bar was a fellow musician. After 10 or 15 minutes he said to me, “Every song has the same beat.” I hadn’t been paying that much attention. Sure enough. I added to his statement. “Almost every tune is in the same key!” 

I must be fair, here. The musicians were competent. The music was well done. The sounds were pleasant. Nothing out of place. BUT, everything sounded the same! As a musician who prefers creativity, I called it a day a little sooner than usual. 

Later that same night, I surfed to a lesser-known cable TV channel, knowing that Bill and Gloria Gaither would be featuring an hour of gospel music. That should cheer me up. 

The show featured a popular country/western musician singing old, favorite hymns. But here’s the thing. He played all in almost the same rhythm and style, and because they had to be in his voice range, almost all were in the same key! He was getting applause and standing O’s, but not from me. Everything sounded the same. I went to bed. 

For the record, I am not a professional musician. I’m a pianist, organist and choir director, with limited skills and abilities. I make mistakes. I occasionally play wrong notes. But, no one will ever make the claim that my music---either played or directed---all sounds the same. 

It wasn’t always that way. My piano and organ teacher was a fine, classical musician, and I was trained to play notes accurately. Soul wasn’t discussed. Decades later, personal experiences would mold my musical styles into my own expressions, based---as Beethoven puts it---on passion, not correct notes. 

And that leads me to the founding of HUMANITY FOR PRISONERS 22 years ago. There were all kinds of agencies already serving prisoners in many different ways. Some Christians thought we should be teaching Bible lessons, but there are wonderful ministries already doing that. Others felt there should be emphases on such things as legislation, prison reform, and reentry. Again, those things were already being handled. 

BUT, no one was helping prisoners one-on-one with their personal problems, as a full-time goal. And that’s where we shine! We could have followed others down a main street. Instead, we chose to take a road less traveled. 

Beethoven’s quote at the beginning of this piece is right on the money. You don’t have to be a pro to be effective. But, even if you are a brain surgeon, go beyond what is expected and add soul to your work. At the other end of the spectrum, if you’re flipping burgers at McDonald’s, be the best, kindest, and nicest flipper in the building! Do what you do with passion. 

And, whatever you do, wherever you go…don’t let monotony rule. Play your song the way you feel!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Comments

Melody Pollard said…
Soooo true. If your heart is not in it… it is mechanical. Like duty. And quality always suffers. I always say to my students or music guests… what song means something to
you? What encourages or speaks to you? Whatever matters to you… will come through you and bless someone. Yes. That supersedes perfect skill or technical prowess. It is full of a lesson, a truth, a comfort, a conviction, a step of faith or hope. Yes, Doug… your organization is that. Full of the needs that you saw unaddressed and forgotten. It is rich in making sure no one is devalued, or disrespected, or scorned. Instead the image of God is what YOU see in every person whether in a concrete prison, a self-constructed prison, or a prison of man’s bias. You couldn’t live ignoring this without getting involved. I try to follow your footsteps…. In music and life. I find Jesus there. Thank you. I am richer with you in my life and seeing you steadily, patiently and passionately pour yourself into the needs God put in your heart ❤️. Yes. I must keep caring too… even when I make mistakes or do it imperfectly. I love how you define all this.����

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread