It’s a dog’s life!

Today I surrender the blog pen to another Doug. This Doug, and his pal Jim, are an exceptional pair of dog trainers in the Michigan Prison PAWS program. Last week, as new dogs were arriving, Doug and Jim were pulled aside. A doggie with serious emotional issues was arriving, and they were selected to be the ones to help this little girl. I think this wis a neat holiday story, so I share it with you today. 

Doug’s words: 

“Well, when our new girl (named Goldie) came in, she nearly had to crawl she was so low to the ground, with her tail tucked completely under her belly, head and ears down and panting. Terrified. One of those break-your-heart ASPCA commercial moments.  I scooped her up into a hug and carried her to the back of the room. When there was a break in the action, I carried her completely out of the building. Pretty much everything scares her, or at least did the first two days, but we've barely left her alone for more than ten minutes, doting on her like our lives depend on it. It's working, too, as she'll approach some people before running behind me for more reassuring pets. Oh, sure, such a hard job. Ha! 

“Goldie is a tiny thing, about a third the size of our last dog, with a face small enough for my hand to cover it completely, but she's 54 pounds. She was so stressed she didn't pee for at least 22 hours, and didn't poop until 36 hours. She won't do her business if anyone is within twenty feet, but she's gotten used to doing so outdoors. She is beyond a loving dog. She happily naps right next to me, preferring to snuggle her head next to mine. Yeah, she has zero endurance, and after a few minutes of walking or chasing a ball, is ready for a nap. Again, such a tough job. 

“Goldie's cutest thing is hopping straight up from all fours when she's excited, which is now often. Her eye contact is equally amazing, sort of like she's just waiting for the next cue on what we're going to do. Beyond knowing how to walk next to me, she's clueless on any other commands. What the foster raiser was (not) doing is pretty obvious. As our boss always says during training, the dog will snitch out a poor handler. I don't know how much Jim and I will be expected to do because she's destined to become a breeder. PAWS must have a need for a bunch of smaller yellow Labradors. I'd own one. As it is, this girl has my heart wrapped around her tail, and it has only been three days. After five months they'll need the Emergency Response Team to pry her from my arms. 

“So, that's what has absorbed my last 72 hours, including only four hours of sleep Thursday night as we took turns keeping her calm. Right now she's comfortable enough to be snoring while lying on Jim's pillow. 

“Cannot think of many better ways for 2022 to end: a juvenile lifer resentencing coming up, and a dog who loves me even more than I love her. Life is good.” 

Holiday blessings from all of us at HFP!



 

  

Comments

Louise Reichert said…
Christmas tears. Love, love, love.

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread