Forgiveness is the attribute of the strong. Ghandi

Forgiveness. The lack of it, and the power of it. I saw it all in one hour of TV news this week.

In the first half-hour of local news, there was a report that a juvenile lifer had been re-sentenced, and would be released. It was the story of a local area woman who had committed a terrible crime at the age of 16. Now, 30 years later, thanks to a Supreme Court Ruling, she’s hoping to get a fresh start. She’ll get out in September. 

The sad part of the story was the lack of forgiveness by the family of the victim. As this 48-year-old woman tearfully tried to tell her story of redemption in the court and offer her condolences to the family, they turned their backs to her and plugged their ears! 

I was taken aback by that behavior. I’m a firm believer in restorative justice, and members of our team do our best to try to help juvenile lifers who may have a crack at a new life. This broke my heart. 

Then came the next half-hour---national news. And a heartwarming story. 

There was a scary moment in the first inning of a little league championship game. A pitch got away from the hurler, and the ball struck the batter in the head. Luckily, it hit his helmet, so he was able to remain in the game. The young pitcher, however, was distraught…he felt terrible. Seeing this, after making his way to first base, the batter ran over to console the pitcher. He gave him a hug and was heard saying, "Hey, you're doing just great." 

All of these lessons about forgiveness, or lack thereof, in one hour of actuality TV. 

I appreciate stories of forgiveness, probably because I need so much of it. I never forgot a Grand Rapids courtroom news clip. A sweet, elderly woman faced the man who murdered her son and told him, “I have forgiven you from the bottom of my heart. As a mother, you’re a child to me, and in my heart, I have no anger or bitterness toward you,” she said through tears. 

What a difference between those two local courtroom scenes. 

Reformed theologian Lew Smedes is quoted as saying, “To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.” 

I’m so grateful that when I seek forgiveness, my Lord won’t turn his back on me and plug his ears. 

Forgive as the Lord forgave you. Colossians 3:13



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread