Funny the thoughts that go through your mind when you take a step back!

There are times when it’s good to just take a day off. 

At age 85, I haven’t had much of a break lately. My wife of 65 years died a couple months ago. Things around the house still have to get done. Post-funeral tasks are unpleasant but necessary. My writing assignments for HUMANITY FOR PRISONERS cannot wait. I love to be a participating musician in our church’s worship services every Sunday. It was time for a deep breath. 

So, I took a break. 

While enjoying some spectacular views in northern Michigan I got to thinking about an HFP staff meeting a week ago. 

It all began when a Michigan prisoner sent a gift of $50. I had just assumed the money was to help fund the work of HFP. Wrong! This inmate was so grateful for the help we had given him that he wanted to buy lunch for the entire HFP staff! 6 people! 

Think about it. I have no idea if the man even has a job in prison. But if he does, he doesn’t earn that kind of money! The work, the words, the assistance, the love, the compassion of our staff members all led to this gift. 

So, Matt ordered a take-out lunch for all of us on a Friday, the day of our weekly staff meeting. While talking and eating and talking and eating, one of our team, Ted Dimke, said: “I have a feel-good story for you.” 

Ted went on to say that one of our clients, Mr. R., had called him that morning. He had enlisted our assistance a while back in finding his long-lost family members. Ted said the guy called to specifically thank our entire organization for our help. He was able to reconnect with his entire family as a result, and they are coming to visit him! He was very emotional about our help, to the point of even getting choked up, according to Ted. He ended the call by saying, "I love you guys!" Concluded Ted: “It just reminded me of why we do what we do!” I heard people say, “Aw!” Some of us were wiping away tears.

It was a perfect reminder of how and why HFP got started! 

This favorite verse from Hebrews says: “...remember those in prison as if you were together with them.”  

I’m proud to say that’s exactly what our gang is doing. Every one of them! Every day!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread