HFP Holiday Series, #2, Doing “Jesus Work!”

I was often asked, “Is your radio station a Christian station?” 

I knew where these people were coming from. They were hoping that I was running a radio station that broadcasts religious programming day and night, doing its best to save souls. 

And I would discreetly reply, “WGHN is not a religious station, but it is a Christian station. 

I was the owner and General Manager of the only radio station serving Grand Haven, Spring Lake and Ferrysburg back in the 60s and 70s. People who were aware of my broadcast experience knew that I had previously worked at two religious radio stations. As the new owner and manager of our community’s only radio station, there was no way I was going to force my religious beliefs on its listeners. 

I meant it when I said ours was a Christian radio station. It was Christ-like to treat employees with decency, pay them fair wages, and provide benefits. Also, a good Christian obviously does business with integrity. Furthermore, a good Christian is a good citizen. WGHN became a genuine part of the community, providing legitimate local news coverage and offering stimulating editorials. 

I say all of this because things are not that different with HUMANITY FOR PRISONERS. 

Sometimes, before providing financial support, questioners ask about our beliefs and our practices. Well, it’s no secret that as founder of HFP, I am a follower of Jesus, whose birth we celebrate this week. But, it’s also important to hear this. HFP is not registered with the IRS as a faith-based agency. We do not insist that our staff and volunteers hold beliefs similar to ours. And even more important is our position with assistance to prisoners. It’s not like the old rescue mission policies, where you had to listen to a sermon before you got your free meal. We do our best to provide assistance to every Michigan prisoner who comes to us with a question or problem. There is no screening. There are no criteria. Every prisoner gets the message that he or she matters! 

Jesus’ mandate was to love your neighbor as yourself, and he was quick to point out that your neighbor is your fellow-man. That does not exclude persons residing behind bars. 

So, is HFP a religious organization? Nope, but it’s “Christian” in what it does. We’re doing our best to show that we care. That prisoners matter. 

It’s all because of that baby born in Bethlehem.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread