A fruity reputation


Jesus was warning his followers about false prophets. That’s when Matthew quotes him as saying, “By their fruits you will know them.”

I’m proud to say that HUMANITY FOR PRISONERS has, in my humble opinion, a “fruity” reputation.

When we’re answering dozens of calls a day, it’s not easy to focus on a few cases, but let me give you some fresh examples.

-HFP participated in a Public Hearing before the Michigan Parole Board this week, speaking on behalf of a 71-year-old black man who has served nearly 25 years and deserves a parole. Other than his wife, we were the only person to show up.

-HFP responded to a call from panicky relatives after their niece, a prisoner in Huron Valley who is dealing with lung cancer, collapsed and fell, striking her head on the concrete floor. Fearing that she may have suffered a closed-head injury that wasn’t getting appropriate attention, they called our office. Within the hour she was receiving a medical evaluation.

-HFP received a telephone call from a paraplegic inmate. As one might expect, multiple issues, multiple problems.

-HFP received this message from a long-time friend, a 77-year-old dude who is so medically frail that he has been revived from death more than once behind bars: If possible, please give me some hope; some light at the end of the tunnel. Please give me something. I'm getting really tired. Keep in mind: I have NO LIVING RELATIVES who can in any way help me.

In my June, 2019, HFP newsletter column, I make reference to some religious radio stations. As a veteran broadcaster, I’ve had first-hand experience where the rough-shod treatment of employees and unethical behavior of executives were in stark contrast to the daily programs sent over the airwaves. That’s why I always contended that my radio station, while not considered a religious station, was very Christian.

The same is true for HFP.

We are not a religious agency. Yet, each day our team provides one-on-one assistance, without any qualms or questions, to prisoners who are Muslims, Wiccans, atheists, agnostics, Jews, Buddhists---you name it. If they need help, we’re here for them.

That, we believe, is the Christian way.

And by those fruits, you’ll know us.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread