Hate to say it: Hate ain't good!

I’m so sick of hatred!

We hear and read of it every day, and it’s toxic.

Tell me, with a straight face, that nothing, absolutely nothing, on this list makes you see red:

President Obama
Donald Trump
Hillary Clinton
Gays, Lesbians and Transgenders
Pro-Lifers
Pro-Choicers
Gun-toting cops
Cop-shooters
Conservatives
Liberals
Environmentalists
Gun control proponents
The NRA
Immigrants
Refugees
Anyone of a different color
Anyone who doesn’t speak English
Welfare recipients
Corporate CEOs
Christians
Muslims
Criminals
Especially sex offenders
Which means
Prisoners.

And that’s just a list off the top of my head.  I know that you can add more.

To counter that, as we come to the end of this week, I offer two suggestions.

First, regardless of your feelings about the Christian faith, grab a Bible, or if you don’t have one just Google I Corinthians 13.  It’s time to re-read the words from St. Paul, a man who---prior to a dramatic change in his life---hated Christians so much that he supervised, participated in and witnessed their killings. 

I was taught to love this passage by an itinerant black preacher named Cy Young.  In his big voice, I can still hear him say:  “Douglas, I want to be able to give a good answer when my life is over and Jesus asks me what I did to improve our relations with white people.”  Cy had the gift of recitation, and his words from this passage have more relevance today than ever:

Love is patient
Love is kind
It does not envy
It does not boast
It is not proud
It is not rude
It is not self-seeking
It is not easily angered
It keeps no record of wrong-doing.

And second, if you’re within driving distance, make your plans now to attend a community discussion next Thursday, September 24, at 7 PM in Grand Haven’s Lakeshore Middle School.  Two beautiful people, Jennifer Thompson-Canino and Ronald Cotton will personally share their moving story, as told in their best-seller PICKING COTTON.  It’s a story that we need today more than ever---a story of love, and redemption, and forgiveness.

And please don’t grumble about the $25 ticket price.  All program expenses have been covered by a group of generous sponsors, so this money actually amounts to on-going support of HUMANITY FOR PRISONERS, which I am proud to say, extends compassion to a segment of society that feels hated and unwanted.  If you honestly cannot afford it, I’ll buy you a ticket.

I’ll plan to see you there.

…the greatest of these is love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread