Medical un-care

Years ago my friend David called me from prison just to chat. He told me that before this telephone call he had been reading to a prisoner. I asked him what that was all about. He explained that the man had recently had eye surgery. because one of his eyes was bad. Problem was the surgery was done on the wrong eye, and now the guy couldn't see. "And they call us the criminals," David said.

For some time I thought that was an isolated incident, but now I'm not so sure. The HFP office is receiving atrocious reports daily.

A woman reported that a friend of hers in Huron Valley had cancer surgery and a very devastating bout of chemo therapy, only to be informed later that she never had cancer. My informant said the state had been getting her friend and another prisoner with the same last name mixed up.

A prisoner reported to me today that personnel in health-care in his facility have been taking away meds from prisoners who have been on that particular regimen for a long period of time. In addition, he said, they're taking away meters from inmates with diabetes. "Somebody's gonna die here," he says.

A wife informed me that her husband has had three surgeries for cancer, but the healthcare people in his particular facility say they don't have the means to give him follow-up treatment, and are unable to take him anywhere for treatment. She's praying for a transfer.

A mother reports that her daughter had the HIV virus when she went into prison, but because the system refused to treat the girl, she now has full-blown AIDS.

Are all these people telling fibs? I don't think so.

The people of the State of Michigan are going to have to demand more from their state legislators, or nothing will get done.

Our nation is opposed to torture, yet I describe this as cruel and unusual punishment. Not in some foreign prison camp. Right here in Pure Michigan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread