from the mouths of prisoners

I was sitting in the office staring out the window.

Contributions to HUMANITY FOR PRISONERS just about dried up this month. And yet our successes and our joys seemed higher than ever. What is God planning? What am I supposed to think? Must our work with prisoners come to an end?

The telephone rang.

"Doug, it's Wayne."

It took a few minutes to register.

Wayne, age 57, has been in prison for 32 years, more than half of his life. I got to know him because he cared for my dear friend Maurice Carter, who was sick and dying in prison. Maurice was forever grateful. So am I.

"Doug! I'm free! I got out! I don't even know how to act, after 32 years!"

He was giddy with excitement!

How could it not be contagious.

As he asked about our situation, I had to confess that money was running out, and my enthusiasm was close behind.

"You've got to boldly go to God," he said.

He steered me to Hebrews 4:16:

Let us then approach God's throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.

Thank you, Wayne.

Thank you for Wayne, God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread