It's time to talk

I want to tell you something.

There are many reasons why we sponsor a fund-raising project that may seem like it has more fun than substance. Are we exploiting a situation with a young lad who just happens to be one of the finest snowmobile racers in western Michigan, or is there good reason for it?

Sure, we

-like the extra publicity that shows up, even on sports pages
-love the fun of watching a youngster pass the adult racers at the finish line
-very much appreciate the pledges from people who want to support this lad & HFP

BUT

Here's why we go to these unusual efforts to keep dollars coming into our coffers.

On January I received a letter from a woman in prison who had given up. Diane had been locked up for 20 years, claiming innocence, and she felt her life had come to an end. She not only had given up on hope, she couldn't even see the glitter of a candle at the end of the tunnel. Said she: Some part of me gave up hope long ago, and I wonder if for some reason God decided this was to be my place on his earth. I don't know. I appreciate your kind words. Your selfless work will be rewarded.

HFP's job is not to give empty hope. That would be worse than a little white lie. That would violate everything we stand for. That would be an offense to him in whose name we labor each day.

And so I responded.

Today, on my desk, her reply. I give you words from the first paragraph: The first thing I want to do is thank you...for telling me you believe me, but more so, for giving me hope. I lost that feeling years ago. I just had to keep believing it intellectually in order to keep on going. You have given me true hope. HOPE! Today I have tears in my eyes, and HOPE IN MY HEART! Thank you for that!

Spencer, that's why your races are so important to us!

Friends of HFP, that's why your support is so critical during the lean months of the first quarter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread