Freedom is a mouthful!

Five years ago I had my first experiences with a freed prisoner.

I still remember taking my friend Maurice Carter to visit his Parole Officer in Holland, Michigan. As we exited the building I spotted a Burger King across the street. "Hey Maurice," I said, "You want a hamburger?"

The Angus Burger was being introduced those days. Maurice, in his newfound freedom, bought one for each of us. His moans of delight with each bite turned heads in the restaurant.

Fast forward to April 13, 2009.

We didn't do any moaning last night, but I had a similar experience with Ron Ross, now observing his third week of freedom, thanks in part to the efforts of HUMANITY FOR PRISONERS. Ron had his first steak in 11 years!

It wasn't an expensive porterhouse or a choice tenderloin. It was a Delmonico ribeye, on sale, and he bought one for me, too, with his own money.

I tossed both of them onto the grille. Steak and a head of lettuce made up our gourmet dinner. We stopped, looked at each other, and grinned. No groaning. No moaning. Just the two of us, in that electric moment, celebrating freedom.

We hold in our hands, the most precious gift of all: Freedom. The freedom to express our art. Our love. The freedom to be who we want to be. We are not going to give that freedom away and no one shall take it from us!
Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider

Herbs and spices alone don't make a morsel of food tasty. A special element is freedom!

I know. I've seen it and felt it.

Thanks to you!


Doug Tjapkes, President
HUMANITY FOR FREEDOM
20 W. Muskegon Ave.
Muskegon, MI 49440

Comments

Ron Ross said…
April 14, 2009 The day after the steak dinner with my good friend Doug, my hero...You see a man walking down the side of the road, it is chilly, rainy, muddy, he is carrying two heavy bags of groceries (that he could not resist). The man is smiling, is he crazy. Nope he enjoys those little things such as this these days, the things that makes a normal grumble and frown because he is walking in the wet cold. To me I am smiling ear to ear BECAUSE I am walking in the cold rain. Funny what you can be thankful for when you have not had those chances for 11 years because you have been locked up for crimes you did not commit. I would not be here if it were not for Doug and HfP and all the people that support the organization. Wonderful people, wonderful world even on the side of a cold, wet, muddy road. One never knows where the smiles on a persons face might come from. Enjoy the simple things in life. Help where you can. Ron Ross

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread