Happy New Year?

I'm in the office alone on New Year's Eve. I was unable to leave early because the wheel kept squeaking!

Mr. V. wanted me to send letters by email to his two sisters in Honduras, wishing them a Happy New Year! He tries to send them letters, but mysteriously they never arrive.

Mr. H. called, and needed a little TLC. He has been in prison 24 years, claiming wrongful conviction, but now has a glimmer of hope because a foreign documentary maker wants to tell his story. I read the email message to him, his spirits were lifted, and he told me that he loved me.

Mr. D. wrote me a letter asking me to try to reach his grown children. He has been in prison for 15 years after his estranged wife accused him of child molestation. He could have settled for a one year jail term on a plea, but maintained his innocence. His holiday is ruined because judges ruled against him in one of the nations high courts a few days ago. Now he's desperately hoping to find offspring with a conscience to turn things around.

Mr. B. is on death row, and after we persuaded arguably the nation's leading lie detector expert to give him an examination free of charge, his attorneys are refusing! Positive results could draw amazing last-minute media attention! My letter of frustration will go out yet today. The lawyers are not facing imminent death. His execution date is rapidly approaching!

And, I just opened an angry letter from Mr. W., an exceptionally religious prisoner, full of pious phrases. He "rebuked" me for not being a computer expert who could bring up some information that he believes is important on the internet...which I cannot find. I tried. So now I am officially rebuked.

Aside from all of that, the board of HFP and I hope that your celebrations are safe, sane, and happy tonight. We are so grateful for your support, your interest, your love, and we wish the very best for you and yours in the new year! Amidst the fun and frivolity, please remember prisoners, their families and their loved ones. May God be near them in the new year, and bless us as we continue to fight in the trenches on their behalf.

Doug Tjapkes, President
HUMANITY FOR PRISONERS
20 W. Muskegon Avenue
Muskegon, MI 49440

Comments

Doug, I just want to start the new year by thanking you for all you do. At times my family and I feel the seduction of despair, but we are always cheered when we realize that others, like you, remain commited to the pursuit of justice.
Doug Tjapkes said…
That is so affirming! You have no idea how many days I go home and just want to put my fist through the wall! I thank God for those who encourage those who advocate for prisoners. Doug

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread