When life doesn't seem fair

Bill wrote a letter to our office from a Michigan prison in August asking for help. He had refused to accept a plea bargain, and to make a long story short, he was sentenced to 40-60 years for second degree murder as the result of a fatal traffic crash, which he claims was an accident. When he left for prison, in 1995, his little girl said to him on the phone: "Daddy, Momma says you're going to be in there until I grow up. I want you to come home." He's now 43 years of age.

Earlier this month he wrote again: I have cancer: tumors in my chest and neck. I'm going to have surgery. I'm so angry! My whole life was taken away for something I'm not guilty of, and now I'll probably die in prison before I can prove it.

Today another letter, and his bitterness has hit a new peak: I'm old now, I've lost my youth, I missed seeing my children grow up, I'm sick every day and in pain. I pray to God to let me die because I can't face another day in this place. This may offend you, but I find myself tempting God to kill me at night, in the dark. But I always wake up the next day. My life is over. It's been wasted.

Bill hasn't had his surgery yet, but he is giving HFP permission to view his medical records.

Said Bill: Thank you for your offer to help me. I hope I haven't offended you. I've never told anyone the things I said in this letter. No matter if you do or are able to do anything for me, your offer means the world to me. I've written enough letters to wallpaper my entire cell from ceiling to floor. Thank you! Please pray for me.

If you're feeling sorry for yourself today, take a break from those feelings and breathe a prayer for Bill and his family.

Doug Tjapkes, President
HUMANITY FOR PRISONERS
20 W. Muskegon Avenue
Muskegon, MI 49440

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Half-a-race!

Gregory John McCormick: 1964-2008

Three lives, connected by a divine thread